A Whopping 100 Million Pounds of Avocados to be Imported into the United States this summer from June to September
Washington D.C., June 14, 2016 — The Peruvian Avocado Commission (PAC) jumpstarted its 2016 season by serving a superfood breakfast to the 2000 men and women of the U.S. Navy and Marine Corps on board the famed USS Bataan Navy ship during Fleet Week (May 25th-31st, 2016) in New York City. Following the success of the USS Bataan event, Avocados from Peru (AFP) is taking a fresh and strikingly visual approach to presenting avocados to consumers and the trade. For example the Summer Avocado will showcase a series of recipes entitled “Avocados from Peru in Bloom” as interpreted by famed Dutch food sculptor Colette Dike of Fooddeco using avocados in the shape of roses and ribbons.
AFP is also launching a series of new video recipes featuring highly influential Peruvian chefs Mitsuharu Tsumura of Maido and Alfredo Aramburu of Cala and Popular of Lima, Peru; and Martin Morales of Ceviche SOHO and Old Street and Andina of London. The video recipes showcase Avocados from Peru in classic and contemporary ways. The whole series of video recipes is now viewable on AFP’s YouTube Channel.
Along with new food photography and captivating video recipes, AFP has released another signature video featuring a vibrant look into the Peruvian landscape, culture and avocado growing process entitled “The Land of Avocados from Peru.” These videos and photos are available on the AFP YouTube Channel here and will be shared on all social media platforms.
In another example of AFP’s unique approach to reaching consumers, this month and in July, AFP is the first in the produce category to advertise in Vogue and Vanity Fair with its “Superfood: Beauty from the Inside” retailer tagged ad.
Building on the success of last year’s campaign, AFP’s 2016 marketing program is designed to whet consumers’ appetites for the nutrient-dense superfood and provide retailers with innovative incentives to feature avocados from Peru in the produce aisle. For example, demos at the largest retailers will make use of simple, nutritious recipes and mouth-watering food photography to inspire consumers to create superfood avocado smoothies, bite-size avocado toast and chocolate avocado mousse right in their own kitchens.
“We expect the U.S. consumption of avocados to continue rising at double digits this year,” said Xavier Equihua, CEO and President of PAC. “Hass avocados taste great and are extremely versatile, they can be used in all kinds of simple to more elaborate recipes and more consumers are becoming aware that avocados are a nutrient-dense superfood. In addition to showcasing the beneficial nutrients that occur naturally in Avocados from Peru, the commission plans to partner with other Peruvian superfoods such as asparagus, blueberries, figs, quinoa and pomegranates to create synergistic promotional opportunities.”
All AFP events and promotions will be supported by an aggressive social media campaign. Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter will provide the growing AFP fan base with hundreds of reasons to select Avocados from Peru including new recipes, photographs and opportunities to share cool avo-tips.
AFP’s popular website, which is more engaging and informative than ever, also continues to be constantly updated and refreshed. For example, during the season the website will include:
- A unique visual approach including increased use of video, which will also be shared on Instagram, and on all social channels.
- New Fooddeco recipes accompanied by “Avocados from Peru in Bloom” images.
- AFP YouTube Channel: Introduction of video capsules that creatively and artistically tell the story about AFP from the perfect growing conditions of Peru, to the country’s culturally rich heritage to the industry’s deep commitment to social responsibility and sustainability.
- A downloadable, free cookbook available on the website and on iBooks that has also been made into a full-color, 148 page book packed with great avocado recipes and descriptions of the incredibly rich history of Peruvian cuisine.
- AVOMAG: the first in the category online magazine focusing on exciting news from the world of avocados.
Radio remains an important advertising channel for AFP. The successful thirty-second spot radio campaign that ran in 24 markets in 2015 will continue in 2016 with expanded reach. The customized attention-grabbing spots promote Peru’s fertile farmland and the fruit’s impressive nutritional profile and will be available to all retailers. In select markets, the spots will be supported with value-added promotions. Popular Internet music streaming service, Pandora, will also run the spots.
To further promote the availability of the summer fruit, these fully customized spots will be recorded by local radio personalities to be aired in their respective markets – increasing flexibility and impact. The spots will promote in-store demos in local markets and any special pricing available in-stores. Consumers in select cities may also see buses wrapped as a larger-than-life full-color billboard featuring the picturesque landscape of Peru and of course, delicious Avocados from Peru.
AFP is known for making a splash in trade publications and 2016 won’t disappoint. To kick off the season, several trade publications ran special PAC editions in June.
With increased marketing support and a large volume of fresh avocados imported from Peru, AFP is, once again, offering produce managers a greater variety of tools to merchandise the popular summer fruit.
- Funding for demos taking place during the summer including the weeks leading up to the Fourth of July and Labor Day. In-store demos for customers are already scheduled throughout the summer at participating locations of Costco, Sam’s Club, and Walmart and are available to all retailers.
- Co-branded newspaper ads and bus wraps.
- Bins with bold graphics featuring the signature AFP Machu Picchu brand image.
- Funding for IRC’s.
- Bus wraps.
- Customized content for retailers’ social media. For example, Walmart will offer the cookbook “Cooking with Avocados from Peru” as a free download via social media.
In addition to the trade promotions and support, AFP is launching a robust consumer program as well and highlights include:
- A re-launch of the digital AFP cookbook. In 2015, AFP created a downloadable free cookbook that is available on the website and on iBooks. AFP took things a step further in 2016 with beautiful printed copies that feature full-color, full-page photographs and mouth-watering recipes designed to promote delicious ways to enjoy avocados from Peru.
- A value-added-promotion with participating radio stations that invites listeners to enter to win a AFP-catered party for their Summer sports viewing party. Radio hosts will deliver avocado themed food to the winners’ home so they can enjoy it while cheering on their favorite team this summer.
The totality of the 2016 initiatives, which complement each other, will continue to strengthen AFP’s position as the peak summer avocado for consumers and retailers across the country.
# # #
ABOUT THE PERUVIAN AVOCADO COMMISSION
The Peruvian Avocado Commission (PAC) is headquartered in Washington, D.C. It was established in 2011 to increase the consumption/demand for Avocados from Peru through advertising, retail promotion and public relations. The PAC’s promotional activities are conducted under the guidelines of the Federal Promotion Program for Hass Avocados, which is under the oversight of the U.S. Department of Agriculture.